It’s bikini season again, making abdominoplasty (tummy tucks) a popular plastic surgery for a transformative boost to one’s body image. This plastic surgery procedure means having reconstructive surgery done to tighten your stomach muscles that may have expanded, become loose, or separated after experiencing extreme weight loss or pregnancy.
And it’s not just for looks because your stomach muscles may be causing you pain or problems with skin infections, itching, and even bladder malfunctions. Unlike liposuction or gastric bypass surgery (which are performed to aid in weight loss), tummy tucks fix your muscles after you lose the weight and are keeping it off.
That’s when the magic happens as we get rid of the excess sagging skin, loose muscles and weakened connective tissue by contouring the abdomen. It makes it an ideal surgical procedure for both men and women. For women who are unhappy with the changes in their body post-pregnancy, a tummy tuck can be combined with a breast lift or augmentation to look and feel yourself again.
Tummy Tuck Procedure
- This typical outpatient treatment is most often completed within two hours unless other cosmetic issues are being addressed.
- Our surgeon will make the incision in the bottom area of your stomach, underneath the waistline or under your C-section scar if you have one.
- First, the excess skin will be loosened from the bottom of the stomach area up to your belly button. After the incision is made around the belly button area, the skin can be loosened from the top of the stomach.
- Next, our surgeon can tighten your stomach muscles in the center area to create a flat contour of your stomach.
- Finally, our surgeon completes the process by carefully reshaping the skin and belly button before suturing the area.
Tummy Tuck Recovery
- Unless you qualify for a drainless tummy tuck, drains will be placed to help rid the area of any excess blood before suturing the skin. Once the excess fluid is completely drained, your drains will be taken out quickly in the office.
- You will need to wear a surgical girdle immediately after your surgery. Two weeks or so after, you will be able to wear a girdle that is similar to a onesie for grownups for around six weeks.
- You can expect to experience some aching muscles in your abdominal area, but it shouldn’t be painful.
- Once your drains are removed after two weeks, you can usually drive and work again as long as it is not strenuous.
- By the end of your time in the girdle, you are good to go back to your daily routines without worrying.
Ideal Candidate for a Tummy Tuck
- Are you generally healthy and at a stable weight?
- Are you a nonsmoker
- Does your abdominal area bother you?
- Do you have realistic expectations about your appearance?
- Do you feel that a tummy tuck will meet your needs?
We remind our patients to be realistic about your surgical results and commit to keeping your weight off. It means following a healthy diet and exercising routine. What this means for most candidates is a willingness to change your lifestyle for healthy practices to maintain your weight. If you are ready for a change, summer is a great time to get a tummy tuck done. We invite you to reach out to our team with any questions or to schedule a consultation. You deserve to look and feel your best!